[Mapserver-users] How to force GDAL to read tiffs?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon May 3 09:09:16 EDT 2004

Paco Regodon wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i am using mapserver-4.0-1mdk, the rpm package from Mandrake. It is compiled
> with tiff support:
>
> $ /var/www/cgi-bin/mapserv -v
> MapServer version 4.0 OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP SUPPORTS=PROJ
> SUPPORTS=FREETYPE SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT SUPPORTS=WFS_CLIENT
> INPUT=TIFF INPUT=EPPL7 INPUT=JPEG INPUT=OGR INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE
>

> Is there any way i can force using GDAL to read tiff images? I can't compile
> my own version. Is there any mapfile directive similar to OUTPUTFORMAT to
> force using GDAL instead of builtin support?

Paco,

There is no proper way to force use of the GDAL TIFF driver for reading if
the internal TIFF is available.  I kind of thought this had been corrected for
4.0.  It certainly is fixed in 4.2 where the built-in TIFF support is only used
when GDAL is not available.

You could "trick" MapServer into using GDAL by setting a different projection
on the raster layer ... say with a false easting or northing that differs
by a 10th of a meter or something.  Also, forcing 24bit output will trip
things over to using GDAL.

Best regards,