[Mapserver-users] arcgrid to ascii(etc)

Jason M. Nielsen jnielsen at aero-graphics.com
Mon May 3 09:39:32 EDT 2004

Quoting Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com>:

> Jason M. Nielsen wrote:
> > Anyone know of software that can convert arcgrid .adf files to ascii?
>
> Jason,
>
> GDAL read Arc/Info binary grid files in .adf format and can export a
> variety of formats including Arc/Info ASCII Grid format which is ... ASCII.
>
> eg.
>
> gdal_translate -of AAIGrid in_cov/w001001.adf out.grd
>

> Best regards,

I have posted this on the gdal mailing list as well. According to the --formats
output and compilation AAIGrid and AIG(adf) are supported.  In any case it will
not write out arc binary or ascii grids. At least not for me. It explicitly
tells me output of that format is not supported:

[root at localhost NED11342]# gdalwarp -s_srs epsg:4326 -t_srs epsg:26711
DEM11041/W001001.ADF W001001A.GRD -of AAIGrid
Output driver `AAIGrid' not recognised or does not support

[root at localhost NED11342]# gdalinfo --formats
Supported Formats:
  VRT: Virtual Raster
  GTiff: GeoTIFF
  NITF: National Imagery Transmission Format
  HFA: Erdas Imagine Images (.img)
  SAR_CEOS: CEOS SAR Image
  CEOS: CEOS Image
  ELAS: ELAS
  AIG: Arc/Info Binary Grid
  AAIGrid: Arc/Info ASCII Grid
  SDTS: SDTS Raster
  DTED: DTED Elevation Raster
  PNG: Portable Network Graphics

Unless I missed a compile option where I need to tell it I want output formats
for these or include libraries I did not I am not seeing how to use gdal for this.

Anyone know what I have wrong with regard to the gdal 1.1.9 compilation? The
aaigrid and aigrid directories did indeed compile. I dont see any explicit
settings in the HOWTO nor the config files.