[Mapserver-users] arcgrid to ascii(etc)

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon May 3 10:18:04 EDT 2004

Jason M. Nielsen wrote:
> I have posted this on the gdal mailing list as well. According to the --formats
> output and compilation AAIGrid and AIG(adf) are supported.  In any case it will
> not write out arc binary or ascii grids. At least not for me. It explicitly
> tells me output of that format is not supported:
>
> [root at localhost NED11342]# gdalwarp -s_srs epsg:4326 -t_srs epsg:26711
> DEM11041/W001001.ADF W001001A.GRD -of AAIGrid
> Output driver `AAIGrid' not recognised or does not support

Jason,

I hope the above isn't the complete error message.  It should have reported
something about AAIGrid does not support Create() method.  For gdalwarp you
will have to output to a format that supports random writing of raster data
(aka has a Create() method - such as GeoTIFF).  Then translate to Arc/Info
ASCII Grid with gdal_translate.

> Anyone know what I have wrong with regard to the gdal 1.1.9 compilation? The
> aaigrid and aigrid directories did indeed compile. I dont see any explicit
> settings in the HOWTO nor the config files.

I would add that 1.1.9 is getting a bit dated.  When you have a chance you might
want to upgrade to 1.2.0.  In any event, this issue doesn't change between
the versions.

Best regards,