[Mapserver-users] Install Problem on i668 Linux Using .tar.gz

Mark Cave-Ayland m.cave-ayland at webbased.co.uk
Tue May 11 04:14:00 EDT 2004

Hi Ben,

Interesting - I guess you have a valid reason for not installing the
standard Apache 2 (httpd) RPMs that come with Fedora Core? :)

> Installing MapServer as per instructions @ URL
> http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/doc40/unix-> install-howto.html#compiling
>
> Compiled fine. As per info
>
> A simple test is to try and run it:
>
>   [user at host mapserver]$ ./mapserv
>   This script can only be used to decode form results and
>   should be initiated as a CGI process via a httpd server.
>   [user at host mapserver]$
>
> So it appears to have performed that action OK.
>
> Next part, Installation, MapServer Binary is where I am
> getting stymied.
>
> "The main goal is to get the "mapserv" binary installed in a
> publicly accessible directory that is configured to run CGI
> programs and scripts."
>
> OK, but what is the MapServer Binary and where do I find it
> to move it?
>
> "Under a default configuration, the CGI directory is
> "/usr/local/apache/cgi-bin" (RedHat users will use
> "/home/httpd/cgi-bin"). "
>
> As I am using Fedora (based on rxx hxx) I checked /home/httpd
>  --> no cgi-bin there. While my apache install is actually in
> /usr/local/apache  --> cgi-bin is there.

Using the standard RedHat RPMs, the cgi-bin directory is normally
/var/www/cgi-bin but it will be somewhere different with a self-compiled
install. The cgi-bin location is specified in the httpd.conf file that
is read by Apache (if you can't find this then a "find / -name
httpd.conf" should help).

The entry you need to look for is a ScriptAlias which on our
installation here looks like:

ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/var/www/cgi-bin/"

Copying the mapserv executable to specified directory should solve the
problem for you. A quick test is to access the mapserv CGI from a web
browser using something like http://yourserver/cgi-bin/mapserv and check
that you get the default error message which should read something along
the lines of "No query information to decode. QUERY_STRING is set, but
empty.".

Hope this helps,

Mark.

---

Mark Cave-Ayland
Webbased Ltd.
Tamar Science Park
Derriford
Plymouth
PL6 8BX
England

Tel: +44 (0)1752 764445
Fax: +44 (0)1752 764446

recipient please delete it from your system and notify the sender. You
should not copy it or use it for any purpose nor disclose or distribute
its contents to any other person.