[Mapserver-users] proj4 and mapserver

Agneta Schick schick at sdac.hannover.bgr.de
Thu May 13 07:59:25 EDT 2004

Dear reader,

I'm trying to display a layer of symbols which are lat/long coordinates (from
shape files) on a map in winkel tripel projection (generated by GMT).
My problem is when I DO NOT specify "projection latlong" in the map file for
the layer with symbols, the symbols are displayed but, of course, in the
wrong place and when I specify "projection latlong" the symbols are not
displayed at all. I assume that my specifications for the winkel tripel
projection are not correct/complete.

Using "proj -l=wintri" I get
   wintri : Winkel Tripel
        Misc Sph
        lat_1

Does this mean that "lat_1" is the only information I need supply for the
projection definition aside from "proj=wintri"?

I've defined the map extents as -140 -90 220 90 with units dd. Can I use
degrees when using proj4 although the output from proj is meters?

I'm using MapServer version 4.0.1, gdal-1.1.9, libpng-1.2.5, proj-4.4.7,
Shape-0.04, shapelib-1.2.10 on Solaris9.

Thank you,
Agneta Schick

MAP
 NAME "ERMOS"
  STATUS ON
  EXTENT -140. -90. 220. 90.
  UNITS DD
  SIZE 947 612
  SHAPEPATH "/space/b3sn13/webdb/htdocs/ermos/data"
  IMAGECOLOR 255 0 0
  IMAGETYPE png

  SYMBOL
    NAME 'circle'
    TYPE ELLIPSE
    POINTS
      1 1
    END
    FILLED TRUE
  END
  PROJECTION
     "proj=wintri"
     "lat_1=0"
     "lon_0=40e"
  END

 LAYER
  NAME 'world'
  DATA /space/b3sn13/webdb/htdocs/ermos/data/wintri.tif
  TYPE RASTER
  STATUS DEFAULT
 END

 LAYER