[Mapserver-users] open failed ogr connection

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu May 13 08:45:01 EDT 2004

Andreas Koeberle wrote:
> Hi
> I try do use a access database as a source for a point layer. I check
> the ovf  file with the ogrinfo like describe in the wiki and the file
> seems to work. But when I try do use with the mapserver the following
> message <http://dict.leo.org/?p=14/p..&search=appear> appear:
>
> msOGRFileOpen(): OGR error. Open failed for OGR connection
> `virtuallayer.ovf'. File not found or unsupported format

Andreas,

The most obvious and likely problems are:
  1) out of date mapserver build with old OGR ODBC code.
  2) you are using a user DSN instead of a system DSN.
  3) the "web user" does not have permission on the database in question.
  4) wrong path to virtuallayer.ovf

To rule out the first item, try running "shp2img" on your map as yourself
and see if that works.

eg.
shp2img -m your.map -o out.png

If that works fine then it is a difference in what is accessable in the
web context compared to running logged in as yourself.

Good luck,