[Mapserver-users] CGI wierdness w/ relative paths

Chip Hankley Chip.Hankley at rmtinc.com
Thu May 13 10:24:33 EDT 2004

After a little MS hiatus, I'm back. Trying to get up to speed on the new
4.0 stuff, and using straight CGI. I'm working with Steve Lime's
workshop demo. I was trying to use relative paths to set up the
pointers... but for some reason this isn't working. What's really weird
is that for the first set of hidden variables below (where I'm using
relative paths), some of the images ARE generated (reference map,
scalebars), but the main map is not (shows up as a broken link, and now
image in tmp). When I hard code map it works.

I would think that when using relative paths, they should always be
relative to the mapserv.exe, right? Why doesn't this work?

TIA!

Chip

THIS DOESN'T WORK
<!-- EDIT THESE HIDDEN VARIABLES -->
<input type="hidden" name="map"
value="..\wwwroot\MapServer\Test1\itasca.map">
<input type="hidden" name="program" value="/scripts/mapserv.exe">
<input type="hidden" name="root" value="/MapServer/Test1/">
<input type="hidden" name="map_web_imagepath" value="..\wwwroot\tmp\">

<input type="hidden" name="map_web_imageurl" value="/tmp/">

THIS WORKS
<!-- EDIT THESE HIDDEN VARIABLES -->
<input type="hidden" name="map"
value="D:\inetpub\wwwroot\MapServer\Test1\itasca.map">
<input type="hidden" name="program" value="/scripts/mapserv.exe">
<input type="hidden" name="root" value="/MapServer/Test1/">
<input type="hidden" name="map_web_imagepath" value="..\wwwroot\tmp\">

<input type="hidden" name="map_web_imageurl" value="/tmp/">

Outgoing messages, along with any attachments, are scanned for viruses at RMT prior to sending.