[Mapserver-users] Mapserver Newbie Quests

Zornig Jürgen juergen.zornig at noel.gv.at
Fri May 14 03:19:12 EDT 2004

Hello, all

I have set up Mapserver Win Binaries (4.2 beta2) on a Windows 2000 Server Machine, because of the ECW Support of GDAL. The Server only should Serve a bunch of ECW Color Images per OGC Service at a good performance. So I created a tile index over the Fotos (~10000 Mosaics in endconfig) as shapefile. This works fine but there are also a lot of problems, I can not solve with my mapserver skills.

Problem 1: Can I use a tile index, served by a PostGIS Database? Is that faster (more perormance)?

Problem 2: When I zoom out too much, mapserver needs exponentially more time to process the input ecw´s to a output jpeg. How can I tune that best? (Pyramids? How?)

Problem 3: On the Server, there are running lots of instances of mapserv.exe, which I can´t kill, because "Acces denied!" (I´m root on that machine). COuld there be some misconfiguration?

Problem 4: I´m testing this configuration (mapserver + ecw Imagery + tile index), to find a method to serve very large raster data for our ArcIMS Services, ArcGIS Applications and AutoCAD Clients. Do you think, there might be a better solution? For my part, mapserver could do this good (if I could admin it perfectly), but maybe there is a much better solution.

Sorry for my english, It´s hard to relearn it, when you have to do so much else. ;)

Mit freundlichen Gruessen / Best regards

Jürgen Zornig

Amt der NÖ Landesregierung
BD5 - NÖ GeoInformationsSystem "NÖGIS"
Landhausplatz 1, Haus 13, Zi. 13.521