[Mapserver-users] Mapserver Newbie Quests

Tyler Mitchell TMitchell at lignum.com
Fri May 14 13:26:59 EDT 2004

> I have set up Mapserver Win Binaries (4.2 beta2) on a Windows 2000
> Server Machine, because of the ECW Support of GDAL. The Server only
> should Serve a bunch of ECW Color Images per OGC Service at a good
> performance. So I created a tile index over the Fotos (~10000
> Mosaics in endconfig) as shapefile. This works fine but there are
> also a lot of problems, I can not solve with my mapserver skills.
>
> Problem 1: Can I use a tile index, served by a PostGIS Database? Is
> that faster (more perormance)?

I think that your shape file tile index is probably going to be faster, in
theory, than PostGIS.  The nature of MapServer is that PostGIS calls have
to go through a couple more levels to get your answer, whereas shape files
are bit more simple.

> Problem 2: When I zoom out too much, mapserver needs exponentially
> more time to process the input ecw´s to a output jpeg. How can I
> tune that best? (Pyramids? How?)

ECW's, by nature, have a type of pyramids already.  It is not clear
whether or not GDAL takes complete advantage of this, I know it was an
issue earlier on - a good question for the GDAL mailing list.  There are
several folks, including myself, using this capability - but I'm not
pushing the limits as you appear to be.

> Problem 3: On the Server, there are running lots of instances of
> mapserv.exe, which I can´t kill, because "Acces denied!" (I´m root
> on that machine). COuld there be some misconfiguration?

Perhaps restarting the web server would help.  I assume it's not an Apache
web server :)

> Problem 4: I´m testing this configuration (mapserver + ecw Imagery +
> tile index), to find a method to serve very large raster data for
> our ArcIMS Services, ArcGIS Applications and AutoCAD Clients. Do you
> think, there might be a better solution? For my part, mapserver
> could do this good (if I could admin it perfectly), but maybe there
> is a much better solution.

I think targetting OGC WMS would probably be your best bet - sounds like
you are on the right track!

Tyler