[Mapserver-users] .MAP file style--is IMAGETYPE necessary?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue May 18 17:46:38 EDT 2004

Hal Mueller wrote:
> I had written some .MAP files without IMAGETYPE specfications that
> worked fine on my server, but one person reported that the output format
> was not one he expected on his own servver.  Can one of the senior folks
> tell me whether the IMAGETYPE line is required?  Not required but a
> Really Good Idea?  Superfluous?

Hal,

If you don't provide an IMAGETYPE the first configured output format will
be used.  If you declare any in your mapfile, the first of those should
be used, otherwise it will be the first internal one.  Normally the first
internal one is either GIF or PNG.

I would encourage using an explicit IMAGETYPE to avoid hard-to-diagnose
problems when you upgrade and things change around a bit.  However, for
hacking up prototypes it isn't too important if you are happy with what
gets selected.

Best regards,