[Mapserver-users] possible to classify map layer on joined dbf?

Emil Zegers EZS at DeStraat.NL
Fri May 21 03:16:05 EDT 2004

Hello list,

In my map file I have several shapefile map layers with joins to dbf files.

What I'm trying to do is classify and display such a map layer based on attributes from the joined dbf.

But when I try I get an error message:

 msDrawMap(): Image handling error. Failed to draw layer named 'aanleiding'.. <br>
msDBFGetItemIndex(): DBASE file error. Item 'AANLEIDING' not found. <br>

The item 'AANLEIDING' is a field in the external dbf.

Querying the map does show the joined attributes so I suppose on a map layer with a join you can query the joined attributes but you cannot use them to classify and display the layer.

Is this correct? If not, what am I missing and if so, wouldn't this be a nice enhancement?

Part of the map file and template can be found at the end of this message.

Emil

*****

Map file:

LAYER
  NAME "aanleiding"
  METADATA
    wms_title "aanleiding"
  END
  STATUS ON
  TYPE POLYGON
  DATA bis_rapv
  TOLERANCE 8
  LABELITEM rap_code

  CLASS
    NAME "BIS Aanleiding"
    COLOR 0 255 0
    OUTLINECOLOR 255 0 0
    TEMPLATE "C:\websites\dbf_join\bis_aanleiding.htm"
  END

  JOIN
    TABLE "AANLEIDI.DBF"
    TO "RAP_CODE"
    NAME "bis_aanleiding_join"
    FROM "rap_code"
  END

END

Template file:

rapportcode: [rap_code]
rapportcode: [bis_aanleiding_join_RAP_CODE]
aanleiding: [bis_aanleiding_join_AANLEIDING]
XCOORD: [XCOORD]
YCOORD: [YCOORD]