[Mapserver-users] Adding Data

Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au
Mon May 24 21:54:55 EDT 2004

Storing a single point is easy. Queries already depend on being
able to translate a click to map coordinates, you then just use
a web form to stuff the point (and any desired attribute data)
into a database of your choice. In this case Postgres/PostGIS via PHP:

	$date = date("Y-m-d");
	$sql="INSERT INTO sites (site_id, site_type, date_reported,
		report_contact, sites_geom) VALUES";
	$sql=$sql . " (1, '$site_type', DATE '$date', '$report_contact',
		GeometryFromText('POINT($x_coord $y_coord)', -1))";

Stringing a bunch together as a polygon (without going back to the
server for each vertex) is a bit more involved. You need/want to be able
to collect a series of points in the browser and submit them at once,
aka some kind of in-browser drawing tool. Shockwave/Flash is the neatest
looking solution I have seen in this regard (the apps are reasonably small,
perform well and seem to run correctly on most browsers). I have also seen
an application that used a proprietary Java Applet (to let farmers digitise
their fields). I am sure that there are suitable drawing tools out there
that could be used with minimal modification.

Cheers,

Antti