[Mapserver-users] Configure: Same old error - can't find gd.h or libgd.a/libgd.so

Adam Quiney deathsushi at hotmail.com
Wed May 26 13:46:47 EDT 2004

Hi All,

I've looked through the archives and the FAQ and tried the solutions
presented, but to no avail.

I am trying to install Mapserver 4.0.2 on Cygwin (running under Windows
2000).

Please let me know if there is anything else I should be trying to do - I'm
running out of hair to tear out of my head.

Here is the output from configure.sh when run:

... Everything running fine above here ...

checking for strcasecmp... yes
checking for strncasecmp... yes
checking for strdup... yes
configure: checking whether we should include JPEG support......
checking for jpeg_read_header in -ljpeg... no
        libjpeg not found. JPEG support not included, possibly needed for
GD.
configure: checking where FreeType 2.x is installed......
        using libfreetype from -lfreetype -lz
checking for FT_Init_FreeType in -lfreetype... no
        using libfreetype -lfreetype -lz from system libs.
configure: checking where Zlib is installed......
        using libz from -L/lib -lz
configure: checking where PNG is installed......
checking for png_init_io in -lpng... no
        PNG (libpng) library cannot be found, possibly needed for GD
configure: checking where libXpm is installed......
checking for XpmFreeXpmImage in -lXpm... no
        XPM (libXpm) library cannot be found, possibly needed for GD
configure: checking where libiconv is installed......
checking for libiconv_open in -liconv... no
        libiconv library cannot be found, possibly needed for GD
configure: checking for GD 2.0.12 or higher......
checking for gdImageSetAntiAliased in -lgd... no
configure: error: "Could not find gd.h or libgd.a/libgd.so in /usr/local/.
Make
sure GD 2.0.12 or higher is compiled before calling configure."

I have tried running "./configure --with-gd=/usr/local", as well as with
/usr/local/lib (the location of the libgd.a file) and /usr/local/include
(the location of the gd.h file).

I have looked through for duplicates of these files, but cannot find any
others residing on the disk.

--Adam