[Mapserver-users] Text labels do not appear in PDF output

Zak James zak-ms at hoppsan.org
Thu May 27 09:36:40 EDT 2004

I'm going on very hazy memory of this, but I think that the decision
was taken to use truetype fonts in the pdf output to maintain
consistency with maps rendered using gd (with freetype). Of course,
that means that the fonts must be embedded as all but the 13 'standard'
type 1 fonts must be in any pdf document.

Pdflib does have mechanisms to reduce the size of embedded type by
doing things like only including glyphs that exist in the document or
mapping truetype fonts to standard type 1 equivalents. Unfortunately
you would need to modify mappdf.c to change the default behaviour. You
could also do post-processing of the pdf files to optimize them for
size and render time; I think there are commercial software tools
available specifically for that purpose. Maybe that's another solution
if you don't want to modify the code.

Since the mapserver pdf code is not receiving much attention, I think a
lot of users have taken matters into their own hands for getting
exactly the output they want.

zak
--
Zak James