[Mapserver-users] mapserver for phones / wireless

Brian Russo brian at entropy.net
Thu May 27 17:27:02 EDT 2004

At Tue, May 25, 2004 at 12:51:51PM -0600, Ethan Alpert wrote:

> Funny you should ask this...I just got a Tungsten C and have been
> planning on working a mapserver display for it. My first attempt to just
> browse the variations of the itasca demo on it failed. My PDA does
> support javascript so I thought I'd be find but there are some path
> problems. For instance it's looking for the itasca_dhtml.html file in
> /cgi-bin/ which is odd.
>
> Only had this thing a week but am planning on getting into it a bit more
> as eventually there may be some PDA applications for my work.
>
> What have you tried?

Nothing yet, still have to get a machine to stick mapserver on (I think I'll
hijack an old p2 or something.. actually there's one next to me hrm..)

Mostly I've been thinking about issues of interface, how the user will easily
tell the mapserver where they are (GPS is rare++). Less concerned with
mechanics of output. Have been thinking mostly about cellphones over PDAs and
hence what the limitation vs capability tradeoff is in terms of supporting X%
of phones. Right now I only have a t68i, which is certainly nothing stellar.
But then I'm not too interested in something that will only target people
with z600's, v600s, or whatever the latest and greatest is.

 - bri

--
Recursivity. Call back if it happens again.