[Mapserver-users] mapserver for phones / wireless

Jeff Hoffmann jeff at propertykey.com
Thu May 27 21:36:40 EDT 2004

On May 27, 2004, at 4:23 PM, Brian Russo wrote:

> Right, I'm more concerned with the interface end of things than
> actually
> outputting wbmp/png/whatever. Would it be possible to see some of the
> stuff
> you've done? I'm mostly doing this in my head, I still have to find a
> machine
> to stick mapserver on.

The only things that I've done for phones aren't publicly accessible
(it contains MLS data and we're not allowed to show it to anyone that's
not a member of our customer's boards).  You can see a quick overview
of one product with some simulated screenshots at
http://www.propertykey.com/website/services/mobile/index.jsp  The
actual site is pretty simple from a programming perspective especially
if you can target phones that support XHTML.  One thing you'll need to
think about is that it's hard to enter text on phones so things that
require a lot of interaction can be a pain.  If you have phones that
only support WML, there's more of a learning curve and kind of a mental
shift to a different type of page paradigm.  Also, in my experience
there's a lot of lag with phones so you want to think about whether to
split pages so you're not scrolling forever if it's too long vs. making
them too small and introducing a lot of frustration from the lag
involved in having to jump from page to page too often.  I don't know
what other advice to give -- I think the best thing to do is to just
jump in and get a feel for how different of a world it is.

ps: Openwave is a great place to learn about creating web sites for
phones.  There's a lot of documentation there plus emulator software
which makes things a lot easier.  Also, I think all providers have free
developer sites that will give you more information about specific
phones, sdks, forums, etc.  We focused on Sprint phones & they have
good developer info.

--
Jeff Hoffmann
jeff at propertykey.com