[Mapserver-users] mapserver for phones / wireless

Brian Russo brian at entropy.net
Thu May 27 22:19:08 EDT 2004

Thanks for the link, your product looks pretty cool, and has given me
some good ideas for the interface. Pardon me if I decide to rip off
certain aspects ;)

I think I'll target xhtml, although to be honest my head is still pretty
fuzzy over wml 1.3, wap 2.0 and xhtml basic/mp. Openwave looks like a
great resource, I'm just reading their getting started section, and it's
very informative, thanks.

I definitely know what you mean by lag and so forth, I want there to be
as few things to enter/links/page loads as possible. I also think you're
right as far as having to jump in with both feet and just start working
on it.

cheers,
 - bri

At Thu, May 27, 2004 at 08:36:40PM -0500, Jeff Hoffmann wrote:

> The only things that I've done for phones aren't publicly accessible
> (it contains MLS data and we're not allowed to show it to anyone that's
> not a member of our customer's boards).  You can see a quick overview
> of one product with some simulated screenshots at
> http://www.propertykey.com/website/services/mobile/index.jsp  The
> actual site is pretty simple from a programming perspective especially
> if you can target phones that support XHTML.  One thing you'll need to
> think about is that it's hard to enter text on phones so things that
> require a lot of interaction can be a pain.  If you have phones that
> only support WML, there's more of a learning curve and kind of a mental
> shift to a different type of page paradigm.  Also, in my experience
> there's a lot of lag with phones so you want to think about whether to
> split pages so you're not scrolling forever if it's too long vs. making
> them too small and introducing a lot of frustration from the lag
> involved in having to jump from page to page too often.  I don't know
> what other advice to give -- I think the best thing to do is to just
> jump in and get a feel for how different of a world it is.
>
> ps: Openwave is a great place to learn about creating web sites for
> phones.  There's a lot of documentation there plus emulator software
> which makes things a lot easier.  Also, I think all providers have free
> developer sites that will give you more information about specific
> phones, sdks, forums, etc.  We focused on Sprint phones & they have
> good developer info.
>
> --
> Jeff Hoffmann
> jeff at propertykey.com

Recursivity. Call back if it happens again.