[Mapserver-users] nested tiles

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Fri May 28 11:29:34 EDT 2004

Jan Hartmann wrote:

> Ed McNierney wrote:
>
>> Jan -
>>
>> Yes, I agree with Steve - I doubt you need this.  I would recommend you
>> create a single tileindex and then be sure to create quadtree index on
>> the tileindex by using shptree.

YES, Yes, yes! you should create shptree (*.qix) files for ALL
shapefiles. Everybody should remember this for all shapefiles as it
provides a significant performance boost in in 99.99% of the cases.

find /path/to/data -follow -name "*.shp" -exec shptree {} \;

> OK, I'll do that; it's a small country after all. The quadtree is a good
> suggestion, perhaps that's what I did read about. Just for the record:
> *are* nested tiles possible?

Not that I know of. I don't know if the new changes that Steve Lime made
to separate off the tileindex into it's own layer might provide
functionality for such a feature or not.

-Steve W.