browse mode performance

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Tue Nov 2 09:58:57 EST 2004

Chris -

"major" bottleneck?  Not in my opinion.  I suspect you're suffering from what a friend of mine calls "premature optimization" - get it working first, then get it working fast.  Do you have a working MapServer application in browse mode that is running too slowly?  If so, please give us some details about the application, and we'll try to help you optimize it.  If not, please do that first!

I'm not saying that disk I/O can NEVER be a problem, but that for many applications and many usage models, the output of temporary files is a rather minor piece of the puzzle.

        - Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.
73 Princeton Street, Suite 305
North Chelmsford, MA  01863
ed at topozone.com
(978) 251-4242

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On Behalf Of Chris
Sent: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 8:45 AM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] browse mode performance

Hello, I'm a new user and I'd like to know what your opinion(s) are regarding the performance of browse mode?  My guess is that the amount of I/O to write out so many image files to disk is a major bottleneck.

Is there any way for mapserver to create interactive maps in 'map' mode?
How can I get MapServer tags values without running in browse mode?

Thanks for reading.

Regards,
Chris