browse mode performance

Ethan Alpert ealpert at DIGITALGLOBE.COM
Tue Nov 2 12:51:56 EST 2004

Writing images is cheap opening up a lot of non-spatially indexed
shapefiles is most often the problem.

-e

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On
Behalf Of Chris
Sent: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 6:45 AM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] browse mode performance

Hello, I'm a new user and I'd like to know what your opinion(s) are
regarding the performance of browse mode?  My guess is that the amount
of I/O to write out so many image files to disk is a major bottleneck.

Is there any way for mapserver to create interactive maps in 'map' mode?
How can I get MapServer tags values without running in browse mode?

Thanks for reading.

Regards,
Chris