compiling mapserver on windows problem

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Fri Nov 5 10:14:09 EST 2004

Ivan Mjartan wrote:
> hi Ed and Frank
>
> Thanks for your reply. I understand that Mapserver is complex and huge
> software. That was why I was looking for sophisticated programing
> environment in C/C++. Now I know that Visual Studio is not right way (i
> was trying it by myself for more than 2days :).
>
> So i have question, Can u recommend to me some programing environment
> for windows ... now i am using Ultraedit with Ctags (for better look
> through code).

Ivan,

I'm not sure I understand the question.  Just use Visual C++, but from
the commandline with NMAKE and the existing windows makefiles.  I imagine
there is a wiki topic or a README or something about how to build ...

Ah yes, README.WIN32 in the mapserver directory.  Read it over.  Look at
the NMAKE.OPT and go to work.  You will need a GD library, I use the 2.0.30
binaries from boutell.com (don't forget to run the .bat file to make the
VC++ stub library).  The pre-built GD is nice because it includes PNG, GIF,
JPEG and Freetype all in one DLL.  You will also need regex as per the readme.

Disable most of the other cruft while you are getting things running, and then
if you need options add them in later.

Once you have read all the docs, and experimented appropriately you can ask
questions on windows building on the mapserver-dev list.  Please take some time
to point out "out of date" issues in the README.WIN32 or other windows stuff.
We still have time to streamline the windows building a bit for 4.4 release.

Ultraedit should be fine as an editor.

Best regards,