getting layer data

Manjiri Andhare mandhare at STATE.PA.US
Tue Nov 9 09:42:29 EST 2004

Hello All,
I have been experimenting on mapserver since last 2 months.And trying to
find out how to do different things. I'm not so far in my web development,
but I have created the map files and I can see the map in the browser and
turn the layers on and off. I can zoom in/zoom out.
I'm working on Windows 2000 with IIS.
I was trying to find out how to get the information about a particular
layer. I mean in my map file, I'm using shape files for creating layers.
What I'm looking for is...when the user clicks on particular layer,suppose
it is a point, how to get the data about that point. I want to retrieve
that data from the shape file and display it in tabular form.
For an e.g., if there is a layer(point) for displaying a particular species
found in the water,and when the user clicks on one point
 I want to display the information such as water latlon, section number
where the species found, common name of the species etc.
Do i need to write the query somewhere? If yes, where? Or I can get this
data also from the shape file, by writing some code in the map file?
If someone have code samples or an idea how could this be done, or at least
the can tell me where i could find this kind of information, that will be
great,
Thank you,
Manjiri Andhare
GIS Co-ordinator,