preprocessing raster files in mapserver (gdaladdo)

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Tue Nov 9 09:53:34 EST 2004

Nuno GIL wrote:
> Hi listers,
> I'm having trouble using the gdaladdo tool.
> In a small geotiff (24 MB) I had no problems, but now
> I'm trying to do the same in a 2 GB one in order to
> use with mapserver.
> First of all I've used
> gdal_translate -co TILED=YES in.tif out.tif
> and then
> gdaladdo out.tif 2 4 8 16 32 64 128 256 512 1024
>
> When requesting the layer nothing gets displayed.
> Part of my map file is as follows:
>
> Can someone give me any idea of what is getting wrong
> here?

Nuno,

I don't see an obvious problem.  What does a gdalinfo report on your
out.tif look like now?

Note there was a serious bug in some recent versions of GDAL with adding
overviews.  It would corrupt the file, and MapServer might just not draw
the layer in this circumstance.   If that is the case you will need to update
to GDAL 1.2.4 to build your overviews.

Best regards,