Possibility to use the WFS of the UMN-MapServer as Gazetteer (WFS-G)?

Kralidis,Tom [Burlington] Tom.Kralidis at EC.GC.CA
Mon Nov 22 10:16:49 EST 2004

> is it possible to use the implemented OGC WFS of the
> UMN-MapServer as an Gazetter-Service - I mean the OGC WFS-G
> profile of the OGC WFS? Does anybody has experiences?

WFS-G is not currently implemented in MapServer.  A couple of issues:

1./

The WFS-G Discussion Paper takes on a specific data model which would require hierarchical relationships in the data being served ("broader than", etc.) of placenames.  You can use the existing MapServer as an "basic" OGC:WFS.

2./

The schemas prescribed by WFS-G are not implemented in MapServer.  That is, MapServer outputs a 'default' GML model when responding to DescribeFeatureType and GetFeature.  Even if they were implemented, issue #1 is still a requirement.

Cheers

..Tom

Tom Kralidis
Systems Scientist