ok - got zoom to work - another question

Dylan Keon keon at NACSE.ORG
Wed Nov 24 13:31:35 EST 2004

On 11/24/2004 10:13 AM, Joseph Norris wrote:

>   The lengthy <elaborate kludge> that you mention is something I would like
> to avoid due to the nature of the project. So that leaves me with the
> open-ended question to all - what suggestions do any and all have with
> regard to the last part of what I am trying to accomplish - namely - allow
> the user to zoom into a polygon and see some representation of what's
> there - a label of the actual number of teachers? I am opened to that but at
> this point in my mapserver education, I am limited in my understanding of
> Labeling. Can a label be placed within the minscale/maxscale scenario so
> that when you zoom in you see the label and when you zoom out it disappears?

Yes.  Look for LABELMINSCALE and LABELMAXSCALE at
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/doc42/mapfile-reference.html.  Just store
the desired label as an attribute within the shapefile.  There are also
ways to apply labels dynamically via mapscript.

--Dylan