bounding polygon

Tyler Mitchell tylermitchell at SHAW.CA
Sat Nov 27 20:12:45 EST 2004

Hi Thomas,
You could do it a few ways.  The one I'm most familiar with is to load the
shapefile into PostGIS and then use an SQL query to aggregate/combine the
features.  Then export it back into a shapefile.

The other way is to use the OGR libraries and write a small script in Python.

Both of these methods use the GEOS libraries behind the scenes.

If you'd like to dig further into either of these ideas let us know, or better
yet, get in touch with the PostGIS, GDAL/OGR and GEOS mailing lists.

Sorry for no simple answer, I'd love to hear about other ways of doing this
that are simpler.  Anyone have a python script to do this already?

Tyler