is there a command line tool to rotate large(huge) TIFFs?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Mon Nov 29 21:43:13 EST 2004

Tyler Mitchell wrote:
> Bizarre, how come when I search for something I know nothing about, I end up
> finding an email from myself (sometimes with the solution).  Wow.  Anyway,
> these were interesting pages:
>
> http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?RotatingImages
> http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?MapRotation

Tyler / Mike,

I would note that MapServer loads the image in memory at the resolution
it is to be rendered, so it will generally take more memory than double
the size of the input image to rotate it at full resolution.  This will likely
make it unsuitable for rotating a very large image (larger than can be held
in RAM).  Gdalwarp on the other hand is explicitly intended to work in chunks
and has been used on images at least up to 100GB.

Best regards,