Internal Server error when processing TIFF images

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Fri Oct 1 17:01:18 EDT 2004

Michael Klein wrote:
> I have recently compiled mapserver 4.2.3 cgi using the Mapserver wiki
> article "RedHat9 And Mapserver40b" as a template but using the following
> versions of support "libraries" listed below.  We get correct information
> displayed initally (roads, state lines, symbols, etc. none are tiff images)
> but when we all tiff image layers, we receive Internal Server Error.  All
> of the data, html and mapfile were copied from our "live" server using
> mapserver 3.6.4 cgi with apache 2.0.47 compiled from source.  The files
> were modified to reflect the new server urls.  The mapserver string from
> OUTPUT=GIF OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP OUTPUT=PDF SUPPORTS=PROJ
> SUPPORTS=FREETYPE SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT
> SUPPORTS=WFS_SERVER INPUT=OGR INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE -->
> In the error log, the beginning of the error is "Premature end of script
> headers: mapserv, referer: <WEBSITE URL>.
> Any pointers as to what could cause this would be appreciated.

Michael,

Whew, I think this needs to go into the FAQ!  Try it without pdf support.
The PDFLib 6.0 includes a copy of libtiff that conflicts with other instances.
This is almost certainly causing your problem.

Also, please update the appropriate wiki topic to warn about this or to just
not include the pdf step anymore.

Note, the PDFLib maintainers assure me they will soon issue a maintenance
release with this issue corrected.

Best regards,