SWIGMapScript: mapObj.processTemplate Input Parameters

Sean Gillies sgillies at FRII.COM
Thu Oct 7 10:14:45 EDT 2004

On Oct 7, 2004, at 3:18 AM, GeoIT wrote:

> Hi Mapserver experts,
> I want to use mapObj.processTemplate from Java Mapscript to receive the
> processed HTML Template and let mapserver produce the according images.
> I managed to get a valid typemapping so that I can supply the necessary
> parameters to the method in the form of int and String[].
> Now the question: What do the parameters "String[] names", "String[]
> values"
> and "int numitems" mean ?
> What "items", "names" and "values" are meant here ?
>
> Please advise.
>
> Kind regards
> Andreas Paukner-Ruzicka

As you noticed, template processing in SWIG mapscript doesn't
really work without these typemaps.  I really don't know why
the method has remained for so long in a non-working state, but
clearly people have not been using it.  Otherwise the typemaps
would exist.

I think that most users use a better templating system in their
applications.  That would be HTML::Template or Mason for Perl,
PSP or Zope page templates for Python.  I'm sure that Java has
a wide array of templating libraries, and strongly suggest that
you use these.  They are more powerful and flexible than
Mapserver's templating and because they have larger user bases,
will be better tested and have fewer bugs.

cheers,
Sean

--
Sean Gillies