Esri ArcMap and Mapserver

Björn Schaffrath 2BJOERNS at GMX.DE
Tue Oct 12 04:36:35 EDT 2004

Tyler Mitchell schrieb:

> On October 11, 2004 08:42 pm, you wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>Thank you for your reply, please does that mean that mapserver cant process
>>mxd file.
>

> Not that I know of.  Someone may have hacked something together, but I haven't
> seen it at all.  Certainly not be default!!!
>

>>If so in which other format of ArcMap can mapserver process. I
>>want to publish pie/bar chart maps.
>

> What do you want to be able to do with MapServer?  I don't quite understand
> what you mean.   I guess that you want to create chart maps and save them in
> a format that you can add as a layer to MapServer -- right?
>
> I would try File > Export, then try to save as a TIFF or Geotiff.  In one of
> them you can tell it to create a world file, I think.  That image should be
> able to be used within MapServer.
>
> If you have a sample, I'd love to see it.  I don't have ArcMap in front of me
> at the moment, but when I do next time, I'll check into it for you.
>
> Tyler

hi,

for arcview 3.x (!) exists a commercial extension called "DiagramWizard"
for exporting charts to shapes - so you can use it for web mapping apps.
shapes gives you the ability to query the charts - if that makes sense
for your purposes.
there is a demo available, but I don´t know the limitations of the demo.
(http://www.alta4.com/de/produkte/download.html)

a another but complicated way is a graphic program (if you have) with
dxf-export and diagram building functionality where you can create your
charts manually. then import in gis, georeference the shapes/dxf,
reclass the parts of the charts with your id´s manually. this is only
practicable with a small dataset.

I would prefer Tyler´s suggestion with a georeferend chart raster layer.

hope that helps.

Björn Schaffrath

(sorry for bad english)