Contours again.

Armin Burger armin.burger at GMX.NET
Wed Oct 13 17:22:48 EDT 2004

Bob,

you could also try just creating a spatial index for the shapefile using shptree. 2 minutes looks like there is no existing spatial index and more or less all features of the shapefile are read all the time. Maybe this index already speeds up things sufficiently.

Instead of splitting up the contour lines into seperate shapefiles that have then to be put together with a shapeindex, it might be an alternative to intersect the contour lines with a regular grid. E.g. like the sheets for topographic maps or a rectangular one with arbitrary extent you create on your own. That way very long lines with huge amount of vertices are split up into smaller chunks. The time to read such features is much less than for the large ones, but you still have everything in a single shapefile.

If you want just display the values as integer, it might be the easiest way to add a new integer column in the dbf file and copy the values from the float column. And then use the new integer column  for the labeling.

armin