Displaying GRASS]

Jan Hartmann j.l.h.hartmann at UVA.NL
Fri Oct 15 12:26:55 EDT 2004

Matt Doggett wrote:
> My experience is similar to Richards. If I don't have a .grassrc5 file
> in DocumentRoot, then my GRASS rasters won't show up, regardless of
> specifying complete pathname to the raster. The grassrc5 file must point
> to a valid location/mapset that the webserver can access. Perhaps it
> depends on what OS you're running? I'm using RH Linux.

I don't understand it. I am running MapServer CGI 4.0 on three nodes of
our Beowulf cluster (Debian) with GDAL 1.1 and libgrass5-1.0.0, running
both Apache 1.3.26 and 2.0.47 . All six Web-environments are completely
separate and perfectly standard (they are provided by the University
Computing Center), and none of them has a .grassrc5 file. On all servers
I can access GRASS rasters with absolute pathnames. Adding .grassrc5 in
DocumentRoot doesn't make any difference and does *not* allow me to give
paths relative to the directories in that file. I like it that way, but
I don't understand why it is different for you and me.

Jan

Jan Hartmann
Department of Geography
University of Amsterdam