Contours again.

Bob Basques bob.basques at CI.STPAUL.MN.US
Fri Oct 15 13:56:30 EDT 2004

Ed McNierney wrote:

>Frank -
>
>Thanks for chiming in!  You're right, of course; Bob made the comment ea=
>rlier:
>
>"I actually started out with something like that in the AutoCAD world.
>Each tile (1/2 sq. mile) was brought together into a single coverage. I
>didn't do any joins on the linework, I just let them be seperate
>entities. I figured that was better than joining them anyway."
>
>from which I concluded that these were a lot of small, independent objec=
>ts.  But I'm now not sure that's really the case, so, Bob, can you confi=
>rm the arrangement of your data=3F

Yes, the source data was all organized into 1/2 x 1/2 mile tiles (2000 x
2000 ft).   When assembled into a single SHP file they were NOT joined
together.  They are still polylines though.  I'm starting to wonder now
though about exploding them into their respective line segments.  The
data size will double though if I do that with all the extra end points
to take manage.

Even though the contours are chopped up by 1/2 mile increments, they are
still quite large polylines, with hundreds of vertices each.   I could
chop them up further, down to 500 foot grid tile perhaps.   The big
concern for me was labelling.  I didn't want to end up with seperate
segments that were labelled to often.   I could get away with a single
label per object with the tiling method of aggregation.  Seperating
every segment out seems like going backwards for some reason.  :c)

I don't recall now if I mentioned this or not, but the contours are at
one foot increments, quite dense and 560+ megs for the *.SHP file.  The
qix file was 4+ megs.  As a matter of fact, this is the densest dataset
that I need to publish ( so far )  I have the DEM next that was used to
generate the Contours.  :c)

bobb