Installation Failure with Proj.dll entry Problem

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Tue Oct 19 11:51:14 EDT 2004

Jacob Delfos wrote:
> If you want to make sure it is not a problem of the file not being
> found, then copy your proj.dll file into
> c:\windows\system32
> I always copy all DLL's there, because path statements can get a bit
> messed up sometimes.
>
> If the problem still occurs, then double-check you have the correct
> version of the dll.

Jacob,

Obviously users are in charge of their own machines and can do what they
want, but I would like to go on the record as saying this practice scares
the "heck" out of me.

For instance, I package and distribute OpenEV_FW releases.  I take great care
to provide all required libraries and DLLs in the package.  I carefully set
the PATH environment variable when the package is being used, so that my
DLLs will be used to avoid conflicts.  But if you have a PROJ.DLL in
C:\windows\system32 it will be used in preference to the one I have so
carefully placed at the front of the path and I will end up getting weird
reports of problems I have no chance of being able to correct from my end.

Many DLLs, including stuff like PROJ, and GDAL do not have version
specific names (and anyways people make snapshots between releases) and
so it is very easy for the wrong version of a DLL to get used and to cause
the most annoying sorts of problems.

My point is, folks who dump stuff willy-nilly into windows\system32 should
think twice before reporting problems because it may be a configuration
issue on your side that the software developers or distributors don't
have a fair chance to have avoided.

Best regards,