Gix, exporting ArcView views to MapServer mapfiles

Eduin Carrillo yecarrillo at YAHOO.COM
Tue Oct 19 17:57:53 EDT 2004

More about Avein. Looking into Avein code, I can express that it is violating
copyright of an extension I've created at 2001.

At 2001
(http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/data2/wilma/mapserver-users/0105/msg00094.html),
I wrote an enchanced version of Ross Searle's Arcview utility . This extension
has never reliesed to public domain. I just send a few emails to some
interested users with the extension for testing purpouses. At this email I
expressed that the extension can't be reproduced and must keep as "private".

However, can I see that Avein include most of my Avenue scripts without mention
my work. I think this is a copyright violation.

Ms.DefFont, Ms.DefPath, MS.GetExtent, MS.AddEpsg, MS.Settings are the original
names I gave to the scripts. Avein contains these scripts with almost all code
I wrote!!!!

I don't wanna make a big problem of this, but you should consider be more
careful when takes the other's work.!!!!

 --- Till Adams <adams at terrestris.de> escribió:
> Dear Eduin,

> Indeed, you did not understand the license of AveiN!. AveiN! is GNU GPL,
> what we sell on our homepage is NOT the software, it is just the manual
> as paper-back coming with a CD. The download of the software and the
> source is free.

I think GPL'ed work means "anybody can do what they want with your code, less
do appers your work as they work". Additionally, you talk at Terretris page of
"Freeware", wath differs of "Open Source" software.

Eduin Yesid Carrillo
yecarrillo at yahoo.com

=====
Eduin Yesid Carrillo Vega