Installation Failure with Proj.dll entry Problem

Jacob Delfos jacob.delfos at MAUNSELL.COM
Wed Oct 20 01:06:13 EDT 2004

Frank,

Don't worry. You are friendly compared to how I treat my users when they mistreat my creations....

I did some testing. Path behaviour is different for dll's than for .exe:

For executable, it first takes what is in the application directory. Then it searches through the paths sequentially. So if the system directory is at the end of the path statement, it will be searched last.

For DLL's, it first takes what is in the executable directory. Then looks in the system directory. Then the rest of the path statement.

So it seems that only for DLL's does the system directory take presedence of the other paths.

regards,

Jacob

-----Original Message-----
From: Frank Warmerdam [mailto:warmerdam at pobox.com]
Sent: 20 October 2004 12:35
To: Jacob Delfos
Subject: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Installation Failure with Proj.dll entry Problem

Jacob Delfos wrote:
> Frank,
>
> Don't get me wrong, it wasn't my intention to make your life as a
> developer difficult. I was only trying to help out someone who was stuck
> (and I did; he mentioned to me that it worked).
>
> If the dll's are in the same directory as the executable, these will be
> used rather than those in the system directory.

Jacob,

Perhaps I have been mislead.  My understanding is that DLLs in the
working directory of the process take precidence over the ones in
the system directory, but that the system directory takes precidence
over the PATH.  I also didn't *think* that the directory the executable
was in took precidence over the system directories though of course
for many folks the directory the executable is in is the system
directory.

Am I wrong?

Hmm, now that I look through my distribution, the one executable that
isn't the same directory with all the DLLs is python.exe.  Perhaps if
I just dumped it in the bin directory with all my other executables I
would have a lot less conflict problems with users of OpenEV_FW.

Also, sorry if I came across as being crabby and I can sympathize with how
hard it is to get PATH environment variables into cgi programs and other
odd places.  I have had this too.  It's just the soup of DLLs scares me.

Best regards,