Timestamped Map

Brent Fraser bfraser at GEOANALYTIC.COM
Mon Oct 25 10:45:43 EDT 2004

Charlie,

 I'm not sure if this is the best way but we did something similar a couple
of years ago using the following layer definition:

LAYER
  NAME "TimeStamp"
  TYPE ANNOTATION
  STATUS DEFAULT
  TRANSFORM FALSE
  FEATURE
    POINTS 20 20 END # Text in Upper-left
    TEXT "Terra MODIS [imagedate] [imagetime] UT"
  END
  CLASS
        LABEL
          COLOR 255 255 255
          OUTLINECOLOR 0 0 0
          TYPE TRUETYPE
          FONT comic
          SIZE 16
          POSITION AUTO
          FORCE TRUE
          OFFSET 10 10
          PARTIALS FALSE
          WRAP ","
        END # Label
     END  # CLASS
END

In our case we pre-processed the map file to substitute the "[imagedate]
[imagetime]" with the date the data was aquired (not the date the map
graphic was generated) by using some purpose-built software on the server.

I think you would be able to use a CGI variable to change the text, but I
haven't tried it.  I think the CGI syntax would be something like:

...&map_TimeStamp_feature_text=Terra+Modis+20041025&...

and you'll likely need URL encoding for characters other than alphanumerics.

Brent Fraser
GeoAnalytic Inc.