More GD errors

Sean Gillies sgillies at FRII.COM
Mon Oct 25 13:11:04 EDT 2004

On Oct 25, 2004, at 10:54 AM, Norman Barker wrote:

> Sean Gillies wrote:
>
>> On Oct 25, 2004, at 9:18 AM, Norman Barker wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have switched boxes to a clean install of Red Hat FC2 to compile
>>> MapServer (nightly build),
>>> FC2 ships with the 2 series version of GD as required mapserver but
>>> the
>>> configure script still fails
>>> to pick it up even when I use --with-gd=/usr/local
>>>
>>> Has anyone got a (fool-proof!) set of instructions for compiling
>>> MapServer?  This GD error
>>> is a hurdle I can't get over!
>>>
>>> Many thanks,
>>>
>>> Norman Barker
>>>

>> Norman,
>>
>> If you provide more details, I'll try to help.  Your message gives us
>> little to
>> go on.  Specifically: MapServer version, the output of the configure
>> script,
>> and your actual configure command.
>>
>> I'm using a FC2-based distribution (KRUD) and it comes with GD 1.8.4
>> in
>> /usr/lib.
>> Are you sure you have a GD 2?  If so, where are the libraries and
>> include files
>> found?
>>
>> Sean
>>

>> --
>> Sean Gillies
>> sgillies at frii dot com
>> http://users.frii.com/sgillies
>>
> I have to boxes one that is running Red Hat 9 and the other FC 2, the
> errors are the same so I will describe both
>
> I building the nightly snapshot of MapServer so that I can use the WCS
> functionality.
>
> I have a version of GD in /usr/lib, and version 2.x of GD in
> usr/local/lib
>
> so running
>
> ./configure --with-wcs --with-gd=/usr/local --with-proj=/usr/bin
>  --with-png=/usr/lib --with-wmsclient
> --with-curl-config=/usr/bin/curl-config --with-wfsc
> lient --with-ogr=/usr/bin/gdal-config --with-gdal=/usr/bin/gdal-config
> --with-wfs
>
> (as kindly given by Newland Agbenowosi)
>
> gives the following error
> "Could not find gd.h or libgd.a/libgd.so in /usr/local.  Make sure GD
> 2.0.12 or higher is compiled before calling configure."
>

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Norman

Looking in our configure script, I'm not convinced that GD_LIBDIR is
being
properly set to /usr/local/lib so that AC_CHECK_LIB is checking that
particular GD library for the necessary version.  Steve, can you
confirm?

On my system, I've removed the older 1.8.4 GD to prevent this kind of
conflict, but we should probably work to improve our configure script.
Not everyone has the option to clear out GD from /usr/lib.

Norman, in the meanwhile, try setting the environment variable
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib before you configure.  This should insure
that configure looks in the proper GD library for version checking.

Sean