php mapscript: iterate through all objects in a layer

Jacob Delfos jacob.delfos at MAUNSELL.COM
Tue Oct 26 00:34:09 EDT 2004

Hi All,

I'm working on a searchtool that, among other things, goes through the attributes, and zooms to the selected object using javascript. To do this, I iterate through all the objects, up to the object count.
I got the whole thing pretty much working, except that currently I find the number of objects in a layer by creating a shapefileObj object, and getting the "numshapes" variable. I guess this is not too clean, because there could be other types of layers. What is the most ideal way to iterate through all objects in a layer? Is it possible to find the total number of objects from a layer object, without having to create a shapefile object?

regards,

Jacob

JACOB DELFOS
SPATIAL INFORMATION ANALYST