Thanks to you all..

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Thu Oct 28 08:42:59 EDT 2004

Mahalakshmi Narayanan wrote:
> 1.  Is there any open source tool available for
> datawarehousing? if so some links would be
> appreciated.

Hi,

I don't know too much about data warehousing.  In my mind it
is equated with holding all the data in a big database.  Perhaps
you could be more specific about the datawarehousing capabilities
you need for those of us not to "up" on such IT terms.

> 3.  Is there any tool to convert shape file to indexed
> tab file? ogr2ogr does convert shapefile
>
> to tab file but the resultant tab file requires to be
> indexed on specific fields.  This I don't know how to
> do. If somebody could throw some light on this, it
> would be of great help to us.

There is support in the MITAB library for indexing attribute fields but
the OGR library doesn't utilize it.  You could potentially write a small
standalone utility using MITAB to index fields, or we could work together
to add proper indexing support to the OGR MITAB driver. Ironically, the
OGR Shapefile driver actually uses the MITAB attribute indexing support to
build .dbf indexes in the mapinfo format.

Best regards,