Thanks to you all..

Mahalakshmi Narayanan mhln25 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Oct 28 04:25:46 EDT 2004

Dear list

First of all, let me thank the developers and the
active user list for their excellent contribution
towards open source GIS.

Ours is a premier IT organization under Ministry of
IT, Govt of India with Head Quarters at Delhi.  We had
recently hosted an open source GIS workshop at Chennai
which was inaugurated by our GIS head Dr Vandana
Sharma.  Participants included a few GIS
representatives from 5-6 states across the country. It
was successful in bringing the awareness to our own
people on the availability of many open source tools
for GIS.

I had also presented our OSS-GIS initiatives at
Chennai during DISNIC workshops at Thiruvananthapuram,
Kerala and Geography Dept, Madurai Kamaraj University
in Tamil Nadu.  We had

also conducted OSS-GIS awareness workshop at Geography
Dept, Madras University.  I hope now many heads would
turn towards Open Source software and especially
MapServer/PostGIS.  I would like to express my sincere
thanks to one and all of you for your contribution.

My special thanks to Mrs Gayathri Swaminathan,
Oklahama University for sharing her PPT on WMS/WFS
features with MapServer during our workshop.

I would like to know further on the following:

1.  Is there any open source tool available for
datawarehousing? if so some links would be
appreciated.

2.  Has anyone combined datawarehousing/datamining
techniques with GIS using opens source tools?

3.  Is there any tool to convert shape file to indexed
tab file? ogr2ogr does convert shapefile

to tab file but the resultant tab file requires to be
indexed on specific fields.  This I don't know how to
do. If somebody could throw some light on this, it
would be of great help to us.

Thanking you in advance..

with regards,
Mahalakshmi Narayanan