make libgdal.la

Humberto Cereser Ibanez humberto at PASTORALDACRIANCA.ORG.BR
Sun Oct 31 14:13:01 EST 2004

Humberto Cereser Ibanez wrote:
> the make of mapserver-4.2.5, configured as:
>
> ./configure
> --with-gd=/usr/local
> --with-proj=/usr/local
> --with-gdal=/usr/local/src/gdal-1.2.3/apps/gdal-config
> --with-freetype=/usr/local/bin/freetype-config
> --with-ogr=/usr/local/src/gdal-1.2.3/apps/gdal-config
> --with-xpm=/usr/X11R6
> --with-php=/usr/local/src/php-4.3.8
> --with-pdf=/usr/local
> --with-postgis=/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_config
>
> retorns this error:
>
> /usr/local/src/gdal-1.2.3/libgdal.la: file not recognized: File format not
> recognized
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make: *** [shp2img] Error 1
>
> libgdal.la atached.
>
> Any sugestion?

Humberto,

I believe you can work around this problem either by configuring and building
GDAL without libtool (the .la file is a pseudo-library file only understood
by libtool), or by acutally doing a "make install" of GDAL into /usr/local,
and using the /usr/local/bin/gdal-config instead of the one "in the source
tree".

Generally I advise against trying to use GDAL directly from it's build tree.
While I have tried to make this option work, it is fraught with perils.

Good luck,

Thanks Frank,
I just replaced the path for gdal-config to /user/local/bin/ and the make
executes fine.

Humberto Cereser Ibanez
Pastoral da Criança
Curitiba - PR