shptree not faster than no index

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Fri Sep 24 12:26:11 EDT 2004

John -

No, that is a different situation.  Your original scenario described 3,000 files, each of which had one polygon; having one file per object is clearly not a good idea.  Having one file per 3,000 - 30,000 objects is just fine.  It is also good to think about updating your data set; if you're going to need to do updates, you might want to minimize the amount of data conversion you need to do each time you update the data set.

        - Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.
73 Princeton Street, Suite 305
North Chelmsford, MA  01863
ed at topozone.com
(978) 251-4242

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On Behalf Of John Bolster
Sent: Friday, September 24, 2004 8:42 AM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] shptree not faster than no index

Thanks for the advice. I'll try it this way on the counties. However, when I start working with the other files, like roads, water and places, I'm dealing with files that are currently broken down by county and each one may have anywhere from 3,000 - 30,000 items per file. So that multiplied by 3,000 or so counties comes to 9 - 90 million items if I combined each record type into one big file each. Would you still suggest combining them in these cases, or do you think that gets too large?

John