web coverage server

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at GMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 1 10:01:47 EST 2005

On Apr 1, 2005 9:27 AM, Norman Barker <nbarker at rsinc.com> wrote:

> My questions are;
>
> 1) GDAL seems to have problems with netCDF, would I be better to translate
> to geotiff where each band represents
> a dataset parameter?

Norman,

Translating to GeoTIFF would likely give you a more stable situation to
work from.   However, I am planning to improve netCDF support in the
coming month or two.

> 2) Has anyone done something similar?

You might want to look at the GALEON interopability experiment
which aims to serve similar data by WCS from netCDF files.  Aspects
of it are already working - but they aren't using MapServer as a backend
for the WCS.

  http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/projects/THREDDS/GALEON/GALEON-Activity-Plan.htm

> Quoting from the WCS howto
> Only spatial, simple temporal and radiometric band subsetting is possible
> with the current implementation
>

> Does that mean I would have to convert to geotiff to support querying by
> dataset parameter, since each band could represent a different
> parameter?

Any GDAL dataset that supports arbitrary bands could be used.
There isn't anything special with GeoTIFF.  But you may have to do
some substantial work to build tile indexes which allow subsetting on a
variety of conditions.  Hmm, I think this is one of the reasons Steve did
the tileindex layer type, so that you could install a filter condition on a
tile index.  I think I had better shut up and let Steve speak.

Best regards,