MapServer WCS - Jpeg2000

Norman Barker nbarker at RSINC.COM
Tue Apr 5 12:18:23 EDT 2005

Hi,

been looking at the WCS impl again, with particular reference to NetCDF.

A comment by Frank Warmerdam said any format that supported bands could be used,
not necessarily geotiff.  Well compression in geotiff does nothing for NetCDF but
JP2k had a compression ratio of 40% (obviously this changes due to quality levels etc.)

This leads to some questions

1) The WMS supports JP2k, any reason why it should work with the WCS?
2) JP2K over http doesn't give many advantages apart from disk storage size, are they
any plans to implement jpip over http to give streaming capabilities?

3) Finally if anyone knows how to implement the temporal dimension in the WCS I would
be grateful!!

OpenGIS announced an initiative to put GML coverages inside Jpeg2000 which is interesting, but
I just want to serve the data at the moment, and use the XML inside the Jpeg2000 to hold a scaling value
since Jp2k can't hold floating points.

I hope we can discuss this further on this list.

Norman

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU]On
Behalf Of Lowell Filak
Sent: Tuesday, April 05, 2005 5:05 PM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] MySQL and mapfile

The following message was sent by Don Deskins <dldeskins at GMAIL.COM> on
Tue, 5 Apr 2005 10:41:37 -0500.

> Hello,
>
> Again, I am new to mapserver.  I have finally gotten my map to display
> properly but it is very slow, so I am interested in getting all of the
data
> into a database (MySQL).
>
> I have data (in .shp, .dbf, and .shx files) that I have converted using
> mygisimport.  This produce an sql file which I imported into the MySql db.
> I am now having trouble accessing this data with the mapfile.  Here is
what
> I have:
>
>   LAYER
>     NAME "SCAP_Cert2004_ParcelsUTM16M"
>     CONNECTIONTYPE mygis
>     CONNECTION "host:user:password:db:bin:"
>     #geo is the name of the column
>     DATA "geo from Parcels feature"
>     STATUS ON
>     TYPE POLYGON
>     CLASS
>       OUTLINECOLOR 255 0 0
>       TEMPLATE "template.html"
>     END
>     MAXSCALE 40000
>     TOLERANCE 0
>     TOLERANCEUNITS PIXELS
>   END
>
> I get the following error:
>
> Warning: [MapServer Error]: SELECT feature.id, feature.vertices,
> geometry.WKB_GEOMETRY from bad mysql query : bad mysql query in <filepath
> and name> on line 217
>
> Can anyone help with this?
>
> BTW, I tried to use shp2mysql.pl, but got several failures.
>
> Thanks,

Don,

This may be a good time to record a recent run-in I had with
shp2mysql.pl while helping another person, we don't actually use it:

1) If you're using Geo::Shapelib-0.12 you need to change 'ShapeRecords'
to 'Shaperecords' in shp2mysql.pl.

2) If you're using Geo::Shapelib-0.13 you need to leave 'ShapeRecords'
as 'ShapeRecords' but -
Change:
for ($v = 0; $v < $vars; $v++){
for $v ( keys %{${$shape->{ShapeRecords}}[0]} ) {
in shp2mysql.pl

As far as improving speed, you have many options available. Have you
searched the archives for tiling & indexing shapefiles yet?

Lowell