Point layer without geometry

Bart van den Eijnden BEN at SYNCERA-ITSOLUTIONS.NL
Thu Apr 7 08:58:04 EDT 2005

Hi Marco,

you can try OGR Virtual Spatial Data, see:

http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?VirtualSpatialData

Best regards,
Bart

Bart van den Eijnden
Syncera-ITSolutions
Postbus 270
2600 AG  DELFT

tel.nr.: 015-7512436
email: BEN at Syncera-ITSolutions.nl

>>> Marco Marsella <m.marsella at ITWORKS.IT> 04/07/05 02:41pm >>>
Hi list,

I have a (probably silly) request. I need to map a layer consisting of
points stored in an old Oracle 8.0.4 database for which no spatial
extension is available. In other words, I have latitude and longitude
stored a floting point numbers, but the point is not available as a
geometry in the database.

Is there any way to get this layer mapped ? I do not need geometric
queries as the number of points is not very high (~3,000). I cannot
move the database to PostGIS or add a geometry column.

Would it be possible to generate the geometries on the fly through the
SQL query of the DATA element ? If yes, how ?

Thank you.

Marco Marsella