New to MapServer, project planning advice sought

Bart van den Eijnden bartvde at XS4ALL.NL
Sun Apr 10 12:14:37 EDT 2005

Hi Alex,

I think PHP/Mapscript is quite widely used, so there will be active
support for it. Since the rest of the application is already using PHP, it
seems like the way to go for your application.

I have used the Zend IDE for PHP, but end up usually working in a text
editor. I can recommend the PHP Cookbook by O'Reilly.

I had not seen that Mapserver book yet, it is to be published in June 2005
I see. There is also gonna be an O'Reilly book on Mapserver and Open
Source GIS in general, written by Tyler Mitchell, which will include
Mapscript examples in Python, Perl, PHP and Java.

An excellent resource for PHP/Mapscript will be downloading Chameleon from
DM Solutions, you can download that from maptools.org. Will provide you
with lots and lots of PHP/Mapscript examples in their code.

WMS performs okay, especially if most of your data is coming from the same
service. If you are gonna combine several services, except a noticeable
drop in performance, but it is still doable for sure.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Bart