server

Daryl Herzmann akrherz at IASTATE.EDU
Fri Apr 15 17:30:12 EDT 2005

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005, Kevin Flanders wrote:

> Are there current server specs available for the "perfect" server for
> MapServer?  Does the multi-threading capability affect the server specs?

This is a very difficult question to answer.  Please describe the tasks
you will be using Mapserver for.  Where will the data layers for Mapserver
reside?
   - External WMS ?
   - PostGIS ?
   - Shapefiles ?
   - Raster ?

What is your budget?

In general, spend your money on fast RAID disk solutions.  IO is almost
always the bottleneck.  Get a SCSI 15K U320 RAID solution and you should
be very happy.  But even with such a hardware solution, there are software
tuning tasks to do with Mapserver data sources / layers / etc...  (This
could be a very long email.)

Please try to be a bit more specific and I am sure folks will chime in on
the list with what works for them.

HTH,
   daryl