consolidation of .map file contents

Dylan Beaudette dylan at IICI.NO-IP.ORG
Wed Apr 20 17:10:51 EDT 2005

Steve,

Thanks for the input. To clarify a bit, we have county -by-county information,
with associated data in a MySQL database that is accessed via Mapserver-style
query templates and PHP.

There are 2 current reasons why each county has its own .map file (and they
might not even be very good ones, i hope!):

1. each map obviously has a different:
-context map image
-geographic extent
-shape file for the main content, rendered according to the county

2. the query results need to contain a unique county ID

a lot of these problems could be resolved if i could figure out how to pass
mapserver configuration parameters in the URL: i.e. the county ID, the
geographic extent, and the name of the shape file containing the main content
for that county.

does this seem reasonable?

thanks!

--