wms capabilities and mapfile scale correspondence

Trond Michelsen trondmm-mapserver at CRUSADERS.NO
Thu Apr 21 10:38:50 EDT 2005

On Thu, Apr 21, 2005 at 10:32:56AM -0400, Daniel Morissette wrote:
>> The problem is that they display different values... :s
>> In the map file I have
>>     MINSCALE 45000001
>>     MAXSCALE 999999999999
>> and in the capabilities file this same layer has
>>         <ScaleHint min="22450.6" max="4.98903e+08" />
>> Any idea why? Maybe a unit related issue? I have UNITS DD set up in
>> the MAP element of the map file.
> The different values are normal.
> MapServer's scale values are what you are used to seeing on paper maps
> as scale denominator, e.g. 1:50000, etc.

Just one small question about the scale values.

Are they just like a regular map, so that 1:50000 means that one
centimeter on screen equals 50000 cm., or does it mean that 1 pixel
equals 50000 mapunits?

--
Trond Michelsen